Raised bed gardening for herbs will work better in instances where water requirements are stringent, spaces are confined and elderly people are doing gardening. Raised gardens have produced ample harvest for vegetables and fruits; it is certain that it will produce the desired results for herbs provided the gardener takes care of some key aspects.
Shortcut To Great Info On This Page
Water Requirements for Raised Garden Bed
Ideally, raised bed gardening improves drainage, uses the space more efficiently with less water consumption. However, increasing harvest can mean more herb plants per square foot which can increase water consumption slightly which is in a way good because the water is being used economically without much wastage.
How tall should a Raised Garden be?
Soil Mix for Garden Bed
Before starting your venture with raised bed gardening, have all the necessary ingredients ready. Mix properly to avoid lumps of clay and mulch. Add required quantity of fertilizer if your soil has more sand or clay, add mulch or fertilizer to improvise.
What type of wood works best for Raised Garden Beds?
There are many options available for raised gardens. You can either buy it directly from nurseries or online shops. You can also DIY the raised beds. Excellent quality of wood fiber made from UV protected polypropylene material and other material such as 100 % recycled wood are also great alternatives. Natural cedar raised bed are of highest quality.
If you buy from Amazon there are options for aluminium or steel post, optional trellis, decorative posts, different size and configurations. Durable recycled plastic beds are also available, they can withstand extreme temperatures and unlike wood will not rot, split or mold.
Modular raised gardens, built-in mini-greenhouses, and elevated planters made of weather-resistant cedar are also great for starting a home herb garden. Modern garden beds come complete with built-in irrigation systems, rabbit-proof fencing, and burrowing pests such as moles and gopher-proof options.
What should be the size of Raised Bed Garden?
It is important to consider the length and width while designing and buying a raised garden. How wide and long should the bed be? For the easy reach of the garden from either side. I recommend a size that is accessible for gardeners both tall and short.
A workable width of 4 feet to 5 feet works best because it allows the gardener to reach the garden soil easily. There are many tasks that a gardener needs to take care of among them planting and mulching are the important ones that involve working with the soil bed. A longer raised bed is recommended provided you have space, as long as you provide cross supporters along the length of the bed.
Advantages of Raised Bed Gardens
- No special skill or expertise required. This technique can be easily adapted by novice and expert gardeners alike.
- The quality of soil is naturally better than the poor native soil because the gardener has control over the soil mix and mulch that goes in the garden bed.
- Since the potting mix is of high quality, your garden bed can check the profusion of weeds and pests proficiently.
- Water is not wasted thus ensuring better circulation to the herb plants.
Bending is not required, the option works well for elderly people. A great ergonomic option for disabled people as well.
- The harvest is increased due to the efficient usage of garden space. More herbs can be grown in the space compared to conventional garden space.
Other Herb Garden Enthusiasts Are Reading:
- Herbs That Grow In Shade And How To Take Care Of Them 2021
- Natural And Organic Pest Control Ideas To Keep Your Herb Garden Healthy 2021: Guides And Products
- What Is The Difference Between Herb Extracts & Herb Tinctures? 2021
👉 Garden Design
- No More Bare Earth – Top Tips And Ideas For Ground Cover 2021: Exotic Herbs And Aesthetic Colourful Plants
- 9 Books For The Most Beautiful Herb Garden Inspiration and Design – Your Homegrown Herb Guide 2021
- Water Conservation By Landscaping: Xeriscaping The Herb Garden To Reduce Irrigation Needs 2021
👉 Self Care Tips
- The Science Of Herbal Incense: Aromatherapy And Scent Diffusers
- What Are Astringent Herbs? Grow Natural Prescriptions For Your Home Garden – The Secret To Healthy Aging 2021
- Herbal Oils For Massage & Pain Relief – Get Your Own Stress-Relieving Spa At Home 2021
👉 Gardening Tips
- Everything You Need To Know About Rosemary 2021: History, Facts And Growing Tips For The Perfect Mediterranean Cuisine
- Tips For Growing Herbs In Pots 2021: Soil Quality, Nutrients And Sunshine
- Tips On Building Healthy Garden Soil For Herbs 2021
👉 Product Recommendations
- 10 Most Popular & Highest Quality Indoor Herb Garden Kits 2021
- Basic Herb Garden Tool Set To Make Every Herb Gardener Happy 2021!
- Best Books On Herbs And Gardening For Booklovers And Avid Gardening Researchers 2021
👉 House Plant Guides