Growing herbs from seed is a great option when the herb plants are not available. Also if you have stored the seeds from your herbs in the previous season, it is possible to re-grow them in your garden during favourable climate.
For beginners it is easier to have herbs from plants; however, if you run out of options, you can very well sow seeds. The waiting time is more but rewards await for gardeners who show patience and perseverance. Almost all herbs can be grown from seeds.
How to grow herbs from seeds?
While growing herb plants from seeds, ensure that you have procured seeds of a good quality plant from the nursery. Herbs can easily be grown in planter boxes, window-sill, containers, and hanging baskets. You need to monitor the requirement of water. Do not over-water them and prepare holes for proper drainage.
You can possibly sow seeds in shallow containers and then transplant them into new locations. You can either shift them in new containers indoors or plant them outdoors in favorable weather conditions. While sowing, remember not to sow them too deep in the soil. Well-drained soil is best for most of the herb seeds. Many of the herbs do not like transplanting, in such cases sow them directly in their respective locations. The category of herbs that do not do well if relocated are coriander, fennel dill, and anise herbs.
Protection of Herbs from Predators
Herbs are robust plants but you need to protect them in infancy. Few diseases and insects attack herbs but they can die due to rust, frost and dry weather. In hot, desert like climate, spider mites which are tiny and red in colour can attack low growing herbs. You might also have to save your herb plants from aphids.
Growing Herbs from Organic Seeds
Organic seeds to grow herbs are a better choice. The plants from such seeds are stronger and healthy.
Related articles across the web
- What are Perennial Herbs?
- Thrilling Herbs for Ground Cover
- Essential Tips to Herb Garden Plans
- Raised Bed Gardening Ideas for Herbs
- Good Potting Mix for Growing Herbs
- Natural and Organic Pest Control Ideas for The Herb Garden
Other Herb Garden Enthusiasts Are Reading:
- Best Container Types For Growing Herbs And Why Some Grow Better In them 2021
- An Honest Indoor AeroGarden Review 2021: Peppers, Lavender And Basil
- A Time-Saving Fix For Aerogarden Airstones 2021
👉 Garden Design
- Water Conservation By Landscaping: Xeriscaping The Herb Garden To Reduce Irrigation Needs 2021
- What Is Permaculture? The Book To Read When Designing Your Herb Garden According To Nature 2021
- 9 Books For The Most Beautiful Herb Garden Inspiration and Design – Your Homegrown Herb Guide 2021
👉 Self Care Tips
- How To Make Herbal Poultice From Both Dried And Fresh Herbs? A Guide To Anti-Inflammatory Healing From Home 2021
- What Are Astringent Herbs? Grow Natural Prescriptions For Your Home Garden – The Secret To Healthy Aging 2021
- Benefits Of Essential Oils From Herbs 2021: Get Your Own Essence Recipes And Diffuser Now
👉 Gardening Tips
- Tips For Growing Herbs In Pots 2021: Soil Quality, Nutrients And Sunshine
- How To Attract Bees To Your Garden? Facts On Pollinators And Tips To Grow A Bee-Friendly Herb Garden 2021
- Essential Tips To Herb Garden Plans 2021: Keeping Them Healthy And Low Maintenance
👉 Product Recommendations
- Basic Herb Garden Tool Set To Make Every Herb Gardener Happy 2021!
- Natural And Organic Pest Control Ideas To Keep Your Herb Garden Healthy 2021: Guides And Products
- Tools You Will Need In Growing Mediterranean Herbs For Your Home Garden 2021: From Soil To Watering Routine
👉 House Plant Guides
- Tips On Growing The Most Popular Air Cleaning Houseplant: Golden Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) 2021
- Care Tips For Growing Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia Camilla): One Of The Best Air Cleaning And Beautiful Houseplants 2021
- A Plant Lover’s Guide To Corn Plant (Dracaena Fragrans “Massangeana”): One Of The Most Durable And Best Air Cleaning Plant 2021