Being the proud owner of four Aerogardens (three old-style 7-pod Aerogardens, as well as a 6-pod VeggiePro…a.k.a. Tall Aerogarden…a.k.a. Aerogarden Deluxe….a.k.a. Aerogarden Elite 6 Plus) for many years now, they’re all starting to show their age. The cool thing is, Aerogrow designed their units to be modular, in that if any part breaks, you don’t have to buy a whole new unit. Instead, you can buy parts.
Since I need to buy a bunch of parts myself, I thought I’d help everyone out there in the same situation by listing out the right parts you’ll need to buy to refresh your Aerogarden Unit.
The following parts are ones I’ll be buying to refresh my Aerogarden Classic. Here’s a diagram of the parts:
1) Black Replacement Arm: This is the part that I’ve found needs replacing most often, because the brass contacts that connect the unit to the pump get green with corrosion (the green is copper oxide, which is not harmful, although I would still wash my hands after touching it). I explained this in an earlier post talking about replacement Aerogarden arms. There are ways to stave off corrosion (I’ve heard that putting Vaseline on it may extend its life a little), but you can’t really stop it. It’s available at Aerogarden Store for $9.95. Replacing it is a snap (literally)–you pop off the old arm and discard it, and pop in the new arm.
2) Replacement Pump: This is the second-most part that needs replacing for the same reason–the contacts get corroded, and in some cases the pump gets clogged. It’s available at the Aerogarden store for $9.95 as well. Replacement is a little more complicated than replacing the arm, but just as straightforward–you pop off the black cover holding the pump in, carefully pop the tubing out from the unit, and unplug the tubing from the base. Then, you do everything in reverse to install the brand new pump.
3) Replacement Filter Pack. These are the little sponges that protect too much gunk from getting into the pump. It’s a little outrageous that they charge $7.95 for 10 of them (I wish they’d just give them out with every new pump), but I guess that’s how they make money. If you can’t buy new ones, in most cases you can just wash the old ones in warm soapy water.
4) 6-Pack Grow Lights For All 1 and 2 Light Gardens. With my Aerogarden Classic units, I always used glow lights that were more or less shaped like a typical fluorescent light bulb. It looks like Aerogarden has successfully re-engineered the light bulbs for all its gardens to be the wider grow lights, yet still fit into 2-lamp units like the old Aerogarden 7. I am definitely buying a pack of six, as the last thing you want is for a grow light to go out while your garden is in full swing. For when the lights in my VeggiePro go out (they’re still going strong), I would get this 6-Pack Grow Lights For All 3 Light Gardens instead (Tall Aerogardens like the VeggiePro, Aerogarden Extra, Deluxe, and Pro 200 have different light socket connectors and use three bulbs).
There you have it. Those are the most common parts you’ll need when breathing new life into your Aerogardens. So instead of paying $100 or more for a new unit, you’re looking at under $20.
Other Herb Garden Enthusiasts Are Reading:
- Why You Should Cook With Home Grown Herbs Especially In The Pandemic: Add Flavour To Monotonous Quarantine 2021
- A Guide To Making Natural First Aid Kit from Herbs 2021 – Why Herbal Medicine Matters
- Easy Creamy Seafood Pasta With Basil, Thyme And Parsley For A Quick Dinner At Home 2021
👉 Garden Design
- 9 Books For The Most Beautiful Herb Garden Inspiration and Design – Your Homegrown Herb Guide 2021
- What Is Permaculture? The Book To Read When Designing Your Herb Garden According To Nature 2021
- No More Bare Earth – Top Tips And Ideas For Ground Cover 2021: Exotic Herbs And Aesthetic Colourful Plants
👉 Self Care Tips
- All You Need To Know About Aromatherapy 2021: Benefits And History Of Relaxing Herbal Baths
- The Science Of Herbal Incense: Aromatherapy And Scent Diffusers
- Benefits Of Essential Oils From Herbs 2021: Get Your Own Essence Recipes And Diffuser Now
👉 Gardening Tips
- 6 Tips for Growing Chillies At Home 2021 : How To Nurture A Healthy Indoor Salsa Garden
- How To Attract Bees To Your Garden? Facts On Pollinators And Tips To Grow A Bee-Friendly Herb Garden 2021
- Tips For Growing Herbs In Pots 2021: Soil Quality, Nutrients And Sunshine
👉 Product Recommendations
- Basic Herb Garden Tool Set To Make Every Herb Gardener Happy 2021!
- Best Books On Herbs And Gardening For Booklovers And Avid Gardening Researchers 2021
- 10 Most Popular & Highest Quality Indoor Herb Garden Kits 2021
👉 House Plant Guides
- Essentials To Growing Gerbera Daisy (Gerbera jamesonii) – Best Air Purifying Flower For Beauty And Function 2021
- How To Treat Fungus In Houseplant Soil: Getting Rid Of Neon Green Mushrooms In My Tomato Plants 2021
- Tips On Growing Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum sp.) – Experience On Planting One Of The Most Popular Houseplant 2021